It struck me today that, since I installed Vista I have run into a number of applications that require I escalate their privileges in order to have them run properly.
As I clicked through the approval.. for the 300th time this year it seems, it occurred to me that the average user is going to end up doing one of two things...
1. They will get so disenchanted with the dialogs constantly popping up for "legitimate" applications, that when a real threat presents itself they may very well click through UAC prompts in a zombie like fashion.
2. They will be paranoid of everything, and end up feeling like nothing on their computer works because they can never get applications to run, or when they do they crash with some kind of strange access error.
In the end it is still a step in the right direction. I remember when MS started discussing security some of the candid statements hinged around the idea that users that are not educated in security, will be nearly impossible to secure while preserving a good user experience.
Hopefully software will catch up with UAC and it will become seamless, then the average user will take note and UAC will be very useful to the masses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment